My Body Rocks

While I don't watch much TV these days, mostly just watching the Purdue men's basketball team consistently lose, there is one commercial that I really like. The Jessica Simpson Weight Watcher's commercial. The two lines that strike me most in this commercial are when Ms. Simpson says she loves "this body that made two amazing little human beings," and "I love this body and what it's capable of." I know exactly what she's saying though I don't always keep this in mind like I should.

There are probably far too many of my days that I am unhappy with my body. And frankly, I really have no reason to be unhappy with it at all. My body produced three wonderful, funny, inspiring individuals, two of the three without an epidural, with one of those three weighing in at 9.4 pounds, the last of those three weighing in at 10.9 pounds. After each birth, my body rebounded within a few months, and I was pretty much back to pre-birth me with no health issues resulting from having big babies. My body got me from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean on a bicycle. While some cyclists in the group experienced aches and pains most days along the way, I only had one day of a sore muscle, and even that resolved itself quickly. My body has never failed me when I've asked it to accomplish something physical (well, I take that back; I've never been able to do a pull up due to astonishingly awful upper body strength). Generally speaking, my body is an amazing machine that is healthy and strong. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold, the flu, or other kind of illness. I am truly blessed.

I know many others who cannot say this. My mom was one of them. A family member is another. And a close friend is yet another. Every semester, I meet students who have to manage their lives around their health issues. Seeing others' struggles should make me sit back and say every single day, "Thank you, body, for being what you are. You rock."

From now on, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Every single day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light