Sunday, May 6, 2012

Getting My Ducks in a Row

Even with a wonderful breeze blowing through the window right next to me, and even though it's been three hours since I arrived home and took a cold shower, I'm still sweating after my 60 miler today. 80+ degrees along with high humidity turned me into a sweat factory. I can't get enough to drink which tells me I didn't drink nearly enough during the ride. I'm bad about eating and drinking enough, so figuring out what amounts to "enough" is definitely one of the must-do's before I begin the ride.

Last night's stay in the tent went great. With the super moon and a cool breeze, the night was perfect. The new sleeping bag worked out just fine, giving me a comfortable sleep out in the back yard. After much research online, going to several sporting goods stores, and emailing a route leader on what kind of bag to get, I settled on the Columbia Reactor 35. I'm sure most nights I'll be sleeping on top of the bag, with just a light sheet, but once we hit Colorado, I might need the warmth it'll provide. If I need more warmth than what the bag will offer, I'll put on the sweatshirt and sweat pants. Last night, the temps stayed in the upper 60's, so the bag was mostly unzipped, just my feet covered.
Poor guy got run over by the truck that had just passed me!

On today's ride, I tried out my new camera. I had set aside money for the tent and sleeping bag, and since I didn't spend the entire amount budgeted, I used the leftover for a nice little digital. I have to give credit for this to JRA at One Speed: Go. He did a great review on the Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS20, so I checked out the different levels of the Lumix and went with the ZS19. The ZS19 was a tad less expensive but still had all the components I really wanted. The only downside, and this has nothing to do with the camera, is I have to take off my sunglasses and put on my tri-focals every time I want to take a picture. I can't tell if the image is in focus without the darn glasses.  I trust the camera, but . . ..

Came around a curve to see this!
I found this place after deciding to continue on the road I was riding rather than taking a left and going east. This was at the point where I was really tired of fighting a headwind. I'd been riding into it for 30 miles and really wanted to head east or west to get a bit of a break, but then I thought what the heck, just keep going for another two miles then turn around and let the wind push me home. That another two miles turned into seven, and in the process I came upon this barn with the car on top. I only have one question: Why?

At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about where I am with all this getting ready for the ride. The ducks are lining up nicely.

No comments: