Surrounded by Love

Yesterday, my family gathered to celebrate Mom's life at the church she and Dad called home for the last few years. White and yellow flower arrangements, red poinsettias, and white poinsettias adorned the area around the altar, giving off a cozy, warm feel. This warmth flowed through every hug, every squeeze of the hand, every wistful smile when Mom's name was spoken. Though the last two months have been incredibly difficult, yesterday the love and compassion shared by everyone helped ease the pain.

The most poignant moment for me (and I don't know at what part of the ceremony this happened as I was overcome with the sadness of saying goodbye to Mom while at the same time feeling such joy at my son's response, so now all I have is an awareness of this one, tiny moment in time) came when I was wiping tears from my cheeks. My youngest put his arms around me and whispered, "I've got you." I'll forever hold this memory close to my heart.

Comments

J said…
Thank you for sharing that beautiful moment with us.
Debbie said…
Jennifer... the service was beautiful, but what really made it special was the words given by you, Mike, Lee, Scott, and Chelsea. Thank you for sharing with us.

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky