Oogling My Goodies

I arrived home after a very long day yesterday to a package from Bike the US for MS. Though I was extremely tired, tired to the point of only thinking about putting on my jammies and vegging out on the couch all evening, excitement flowed at the thought of the goodies inside the box. Funny, Delightful Son was standing by the counter, almost as eager as I was to rip into the package. I told him to go ahead, and with a smile on his face, he picked it up and tore the tape off. He opened one flap then the other, reached in and pulled out a BTUSFMS water bottle. Next came a BTUSFMS navy blue t-shirt. Last were stickers, calling cards, and postcards. As I stood there, oogling my BTUSFMS goodies, Hubby looked at me and said, "Well, I guess it's official. You're really doing this."

Yes, I'm really going to ride my sweet, sweet Madone 3.1 from Yorktown, VA to San Fran, CA. I'm really going to try my darndest to raise $3785 (ideally more than that) between now and June 1, 2012. Neither the ride nor raising the money is going to be easy, but I truly believe living with the challenges of MS on a daily basis is far more difficult.

Since I made the decision to do the ride, I feel grounded. Before, right after Mom's collapse and her subsequent struggle, I was feeling like a balloon being blown every which way by the wind. Scattered is a good way of putting it. I felt scattered. I wanted to help, but I didn't know how. Now, with the ride and the fundraising as a focus, I feel so much more in control. I have something to work towards, and that something is to honor a person who has always been there for me through all my ups and downs. That something is also for the 400,000 plus who face the challenges of MS each and every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky