Learning Curve

I've started on the documentary about the school track team, and I'm finding I have tons to learn about putting a documentary together. I bought a new editing program to work with, thinking if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. Little did I realize at the time of purchasing it that I was going to have a huge learning curve with this program. I should have figured, though, since it has all the bells and whistles, both of which I really wanted in order to do more than just the basics with the documentary.

The first couple of days working with the program, I was splitting and moving parts of the video. I kept trying to add in a transition between two parts, but everytime I viewed what I had put together, I was unhappy because the part of the video that was underneath the title frame would show for a split second when the transition started. I had no clue how to keep the video hidden completely. I eventually deleted everything I had worked on and started over.

Finally, during an hour of working on hiding the clip and having the transition work like I wanted, I stumbled upon a tutorial within the program. Duh. I had already read the booklet that came with the program, but it offered nothing about what I was working on, but lo and behold, the tutorial did. I learned how to increase the size of the viewing pane so I could actually see the clips, how they were overlapping or not overlapping as much as I needed them to. Duh again. I had been thinking for several days that there was no way anyone could really work with the program and have any success because of how small the clips were; there was no way to tell exactly where one clip ended and the other began or where the transitions were fitting in. Talk about operator malfunction! Since discovering how to increase the viewing size, things have gone much smoother. While I'm still not totally happy with the opening of the documentary, at least I know I can now go in and create a better one in a matter of minutes rather than a matter of days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky