Complete Frustration

My middle child, a sixth grader, frustrates me to no end when it comes to homework. He just doesn't want to do it. He's a bright boy, with a quick mind, but if he can get away with not sitting down and doing any homework, he will. When I press the issue, he'll sit, but it's one sigh after another, a lot of head hanging, and at times tears. What should take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to complete turnes into two, sometimes three hours. If I don't sit with him, constantly asking questions, suggesting ways to write sentences, and pointing to helpful websites, he wouldn't get anything done. Each night, this is what I go through. While I want him to learn and be a successful student, I'm tired of the constant struggle I have to endure to make sure these things are actually happening. I have to wonder just how much he is learning since he has such a bad attitude before, during and after doing the homework.

Another part of me is frustrated with the school, the teachers. It does seem as if many projects have been piled on these last few weeks. These projects are not little, one-page type projects either. They are involved, asking the students to write short paragraphs then draw pictures to go with the paragraphs. In the end, the students have little books of anywhere between 6 to 32 pages. On top of these, the students have had to write research papers of 4 to 6 pages. This is in addition to all the math, science and other classes the students have. While I applaud all the writing, I'm not sure the students are getting as much from them as they should be. They all feel way too overwhelmed. Too much work to do in too little time. Rather than being able to enjoy the process of completing these projects, the students are racing time just to get them done. Learning really cannot be enjoyed at all. And for students like my son, if the learning cannot be enjoyed, then every little piece of homework becomes the enemy no matter what is being asked of him. This I find sad.

Students should be encouraged to enjoy every moment of learning they encounter. However, many are merely going through the motions in order to get the work finished on time. My son is now working on creating a children's book about the Battle of Nashville. This is one battle in which many black soldiers fought, serving a country that had been nothing but cruel towards them. My son, though, is so caught up with how much he has to do in so little time that he cannot focus on the interesting facts about the battle. I want him to enjoy the process, learn about his country and those who shaped our history. All I'm seeing, though, is distress. Learning cannot take place when distress is clouding the mind.

How much do these projects really teach the kids? I really have to wonder. In the meantime, I will continue to be completely frustrated right along with my son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light