Nearly Two Months of Living Carfree

I've become very aware of two things since I've gone carfree and have been riding my bike to get groceries, to sit outside the coffeehouse, well, everywhere.

One: 99% of establishments do not have a place where I can put my bike and lock it. I've used benches, sign posts, lamp posts, a shelving unit loaded with annuals, and anything else that will deter someone from trying to take my lovely, new ride.

Two: the number of people who park but don't turn off their car while they are inside the store or wherever it may be where they have to exit their car is maddening. I simply do not understand the mindset of leaving a car running while one is in the store (and no, there is no one in the car waiting for the person who went into the store).

A few other cycling observations:

  • I need to invest in good grocery panniers. I have a couple of panniers now, but they're not specifically for groceries and sag when I load them.  
  • I need a good raincoat. So far I've not had to deal with rain, but it will happen, sooner or later. I want to be prepared.
  • Most motorists are very kind. Just one or two here and there are jerks. 
  • After taking the hill at least three or four times a week now, I can tell it's getting easier each time. Even when the panniers are loaded.

General daily life observations:

My neighbors are, well . . . let's just say they're interesting. Last weekend, He Neighbor worked on the garage door opener, installing a universal remote. After finishing, one of the kids tried to put the door down. It went down a quarter of the way then went back up. Over and over and over this happened. At some point, doesn't one stop and think, hmmmmm, something's not right? Nope. This went on for five minutes or longer. I really wanted to shout through the open window, "Stop it! Obviously it doesn't want to go down!" But I didn't. I held my tongue.

Other things these neighbors do:

Let their pit bull outside off leash. Every time I want to take Ado for a walk, I have to scope the area thoroughly before stepping outside. Last evening, right at dark, Angel Baby was in the kitchen working on putting his new desk together. The pit bull was right outside our kitchen windows, barking at Angel Baby. I was just glad Ado had already been out and didn't need to go out again for the night.

Leave the garage door up all night. I don't care if their crappy bikes get taken, but I sure as heck don't need my beautiful new ride or Ado's cart or Angel Baby's bike getting stolen. One night, around 11 pm, I walked over and knocked on their door to ask them to please put the garage door down. I knocked. No answer. I knocked again. No answer. The TV volume was set so high there was no way they were going to hear me knocking. I figured I'd say something the next day. I think our landlord beat me to it -- I saw him leaving the next morning when I was returning from a walk with Ado. The garage door was down then. Ever since, though it might not be until near midnight or after, the door has been closed.

Yesterday, a woman stopped at the entrance of the driveway and walked up. He Neighbor was standing outside, and since my front window is open because of the glorious cooldown we're experiencing right now, I was able to hear their conversation. She asked about his unit, and he told her about it. She then asked who the landlord is, and he told her. After giving the landlord's name, he finished the conversation by saying, "He's a pain." Ummmm, really? I wanted to shout through the screen, "That pain you speak of didn't want to rent to you but decided to take a chance and allow you to move in. That pain you speak of gets the handyman here within hours of any of us needing something fixed. That pain you speak of takes care of his rentals to be sure they are in good running order and to be sure we are comfortable." Good grief. This guy is an ass.

So, yeah, fun neighbors. 

Despite them, the summer has been wonderful. Just five days left for the summer session of teaching. Then I get two weeks of downtime. I've made no plans for the two weeks, and I think I'll stick with the no plans plan. I just want to see how each day unfolds organically.

The contours of the cornfields are beautiful. 

The female Carolina wren on nest. 

The male Carolina wren checking on her. He brings her bugs for her meals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky