Chicory Coffee and Fresh Farm Eggs

The rural roads are lined with an abundance of chicory. The dainty light purple-blue flowers offer a pretty contrast to the mid-summer green. Many believe the plant to be an invasive weed, but I beg to differ. It adds beauty to the world.

I decided to learn more about the plant, and in the end, I bought some chicory "coffee" after reading about how delicious it is. My first sip made me think of molasses. Which made me think of the molasses oatmeal raisin cookies my mom used to make. Now I'm determined to make those cookies and fill my kitchen with the warmth of molasses.

But, I digress.

The chicory coffee is a keeper. I can't imagine ever going back to regular coffee now that I've had the pleasant experience of drinking such a flavorful coffee substitute. The flavor packed into this drink makes the coffee I was drinking pale in comparison.

I probably wouldn't have learned about chicory coffee if I hadn't been riding the back roads like I have. While still not anywhere close to the 4200 miles I cycled two years ago, I think I'm getting close to the 1000 miles mark for the summer. My threshold has certainly increased. I'm now able to do 50 miles comfortably. Most often, I'm between 35 and 45 miles when I go out. On Mondays and Fridays I ride with a friend. Just this past Friday, we meandered out into the country, and as we neared home, instead of turning onto the road that would take us back to the trail, I went on, knowing we'd have to cycle two or three more miles. When we had to stop at a crossroad and wait for the traffic to pass, my friend looked at me and said, "At first I thought damn her, but now I'm glad you kept going. It's too pretty out to return home."

The last week especially I've felt the need to be out. It's like my being can't and won't rest until it gets what it needs from being amongst the corn fields, the wind turbines, the lake. Today I rode my heavy workhorse of a bike up to the farm to get eggs. It was a slow ride. But it was exactly what I needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky