First Shoot

I picked up my first camera when I was around nine years old. I started photographing old barns and houses. Silos. Even as a kid, I loved the stories surrounding these structures that were in disrepair, falling down, abandoned. At the time I didn't know how to bring out the best in what I was seeing. Just somehow, I knew there was something there.

Fast forward to college. I decided to minor in photography, and it was through these classes that I was able to bring out the best in what I saw through the viewfinder. The photo that truly showed me I have "a good eye" happened during a class trip to Chicago, to the Art Institute. After our tour, we gathered on the sidewalk in front of the Institute. To one side there is a park-like area with seating, trees, and flowers. It was springtime, so the trees were just leafing out. I turned to watch the people and noticed two men sitting on separate benches underneath the trees. One man, a white man, was looking straight ahead. The other man, African-American, with a tweed driving cap, was looking down at his feet, elbows resting on his knees, his hands clasped. I raised my camera and snapped a few pictures. When we returned home I did the usual: I went into the darkroom and began developing the film and then some photos.

The next class period I put up one of the images I'd taken of the two men. I knew in my heart it was really good. The first response I received was from a classmate I admired. He knew his way around a camera, the darkroom, and created wonderful pictures. The moment he looked at my photo, he turned to me and said, "Wow!" Then, the photography instructor looked at my photo, looked at me, and smiled. You know, that kind of smile that says way more than words ever could. That was my defining moment of being a photographer. 

But I didn't do anything with my photography. And at some point during the many moves of my life, the photo of those two men as well as the negative for that photo got lost. I've thought about that photo many times over the years, sadness filling me over letting such possibility go squandered.

So here I am now, standing at the trailhead of winter. And I'm ready to walk the path I should have taken years ago. I've gathered the equipment, I've been relearning much of what I'd learned back in my photography classes, and I've spent time getting to know my cameras again. I took a deep breath, went way outside my comfort zone and reached out to strangers, asking if I can photograph their dogs to get a portfolio put together. The response was so positive, and last evening I completed my first shoot in a long, long time. 

Maggie


Comments

J said…
I'm so glad you're picking up your camera again. The world will be better off for it.
Love,
Jen George
JK said…
It feels so good to have it in my hands again. I am so, so glad to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why