Our Move is Mostly Done -- And We Survived

Angel Baby and I are tired. Exhausted is probably the better word. Between the two of us, we moved a desk that weighs as much as a two-ton truck (really, I know it does) and a china cabinet that's not much less than the two-ton truck. We did the bulk of the move on Tuesday, and every day since has been little stuff followed by cleaning. Today we have one more trip to make -- the unwanted things going to the ReStore and/or Goodwill. We also have the final cleaning. Then done!

I've felt the ups and downs all week. Funny Delightful Son no longer comes through the door each afternoon, gives me a salute and says, "Greetings, Commander." My typical response has been, "At ease, Squaddie." I won't get the twenty-minute run-down of his day anymore, and I won't get the jokes and funny comments during dinner.

And now that Lovely Beautiful Daughter is in her new place, I won't get my daily fix of hearing about her relationships with the residents where she works. When she talks about them, always referring to them as "MY residents," you can hear the love she has for each and every one of them. A smile lights her face, showing without any doubt she truly enjoys working with those under her care.

I've had the very best gift anyone could have given me for the last year. Time. Time with three beautiful human beings. Thankfully, I still have one with me, at least for awhile. Even he, though, has mentioned a time or two that he's beginning to think about moving into his own place. For now, I'm going to take every minute I get with him and hold it close.

I wrote this haiku back in February, after Ado and I took a walk and I saw a nest in a Rose of Sharon bush. It kind of sums up how I've been feeling these past few months and especially this week.

Empty nest remains
leaf-bare limbs melancholy
winds sweep life away

P.S. If you'd like to read the poem I had accepted for publication recently, you can find it here: The Voices Project. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky