Still Working on Simplifying

After long thought (seriously long, like more than a year long), I finally decided to step away from Facebook. I almost did so in June, but Funny Delightful Son suggested I stay on for a bit longer. I did, but I keep coming back to wanting to simplify my life even further, with social media being the area I want to work on most. I had closed my LinkedIn and Twitter accounts earlier this year, so the last big step is Facebook. After talking briefly with a friend yesterday about him deactivating his FB account and being all the happier because of it, I was inspired to take the leap and deactivate mine. I posted a note letting friends and family know of my intentions, and in a day or so I'll go in to hit the Deactivate button to complete the process.

For many years I've wanted to simplify my life. I thought, though, this meant finding that dream farm and having the milking cow, chickens, and a large garden. Then, my husband and I separated. I moved into a rental with no garden to tend, and all of the lawn upkeep is taken care of by the landlord. I have learned over the past few months that simplifying is about moving away from things rather than bringing more things into my life that involve doing. The garden, while very relaxing and wonderful to watch grow, involved a lot of work. Many things I used to do that I no longer do required a lot of time and effort. Now that those things have been removed from my life, I've found I have time. Time to write. Time to read. Time to watch the birds at the feeders. Time to just sit and watch life. 

Even my desire to become a yoga teacher involved time, travel, and money. And I realized I was bringing something else into my life when I kept saying I want to simplify. While I loved the classes and I've learned a ton over the last year, I realized how much time and effort I was putting into doing it. I could feel myself spreading thin again, just doing too much when my real desire is to do less. After careful thought and talking with Lovely Beautiful Daughter about putting the yoga teacher training on the shelf for a while, I made the decision to take a hiatus until further notice. The moment I made that decision I felt a huge weight lift from my shoulders.

One other area of simplifying my life involves my car. I am playing with the idea of going car-free during the spring semester to see how I manage. I live close enough to the grocery store that I can ride my bike for whatever I might need. Public transit stops right up the street and will take me to Uptown Station where I can catch the bus that will take me to work. I walk a lot since the places I frequent are maybe a mile or less away. If I do need a vehicle for going a longer distance every now and then, I have access to Lovely Beautiful Daughter's car. I love the idea of not having a car payment, not paying for gas, not having to deal with oil changes and other car maintenance issues, but while all of this sounds great, I know I need to ease into being car-free, test the waters during the spring semester to see if it's really something I can make a part of my life.

While I won't be on FB, Twitter, or other social media, I will be here. This is the place I've been the longest. This is a space that holds the good, the bad, and the not so pretty. This is where I am most me.

Comments

Thryn said…
When you left this space a time, I mourned. I was enriched by walking with you, however vicariously, while you traveled in China, and again at other times. So, I am relieved to read that you will remain here though shutting down elsewhere. I cherish the writing that happens here and the friend that write it. And as someone who lives too far not to keep virtual ties --- I thank you! :) K
JK said…
I'm so glad you are here with me, K.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light