Finding My Way into Good Music

I am so in love with Michael Kiwanuka. His music, for whatever reason, strikes a chord in me. I can listen to his songs over and over and over. Not many singer/songwriters do this to me.

My love affair with Kiwanuka's music started a couple of weeks ago when I had a mix streaming on YouTube. His song "Cold Little Heart" came on while I was in the kitchen doing dishes. When his voice started, I had to stop and go watch the video and listen to the song. I must have been in a fragile place that day -- the tears started slipping down my cheeks as I listened. Maybe it was the lyrics. Maybe the style took me back to my childhood. Maybe the young man dancing in the video made me feel the despair that comes from trying but not making headway. Could have been all of this that struck me that day. Ever since, I've been listening to Kiwanuka and really enjoying his work.

I didn't realize at the time that this song is from Big Little Lies, which I watched earlier this year. I thought the song sounded familiar but couldn't place it. Then I read some of the comments below the video and saw others saying it was because of that show they found Kiwanuka's music.

I just finished watching the first season of Dark on Netflix and am now caught up in the soundtrack from it. The show is fantastic, one that I couldn't tear myself away from. I watched it with the German language and subtitles, so I really had to pay attention, but it was totally worth it. Just a wonderful show. The music, too, caught my attention, so now I'm listening to the soundtrack quite a bit.

I'm really examining music more closely these days, I think because of the poetry I'm writing. I can see where poetry and music overlap, so I'm paying more attention to lyrics, rhythm, cadence, etc. Even Funny Delightful Son noticed the near rhymes I'm using in one of my poems and remarked about it being similar to what rap artists do with their songs. I love being able to have conversations about using language with my kids. That's what I consider fun times.

If you haven't watched Dark, here's one of the songs to give you an idea of what the music is like. Really, really good stuff.

Enter One by Sol Seppy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky