Late to the Fashion Show

Over the weekend I went shopping with Lovely Beautiful Daughter. I really hadn't intended to buy anything, but since we ended up at one of my favorite stores, I thought why not look for a dress? I made the decision to change up my wardrobe quite a bit: in with dresses and out with jeans (though I must confess I did just buy a very comfortable, just-want-to-wear-all-the-time pair of overalls). So I checked the dress rack and found four to try on (which is also a new thing for me per orders of Lovely Beautiful Daughter; no more buying an article of clothing and taking it home without trying it on). When LBD saw I had four dresses she was quite impressed though she did laugh at the range in sizes: one small, two medium, and one large. She's the one who also told me to stop selecting a piece based only on size, so I took her advice.

When I walked out of the dressing room, I found Lovely Beautiful Daughter waiting to get in line to pay for her purchases, so I joined her.

"What?!? Three dresses?" She raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah. Big step, isn't it?"

"I'm so glad you went with the burgundy one. That's a great color."

I even surprised myself with buying the burgundy dress. It's the most form-fitting (at least what I consider form-fitting) of the three dresses since it is the size S, but I'm working to get over the rather poor sense of self-image I've been told I have, so I decided this dress was going to help me do that. I put it on yesterday with some brown leggings and my brown cowboy boots, then added a colorful scarf. When Funny Delightful Son returned home from his finals, he looked at me and asked, "Where'd you go this morning?" I told him just around the block when Ado and I went for our walk, and he laughed, telling me I was pretty dressed up for a walk with the dog.

"I'm trying to decide if I like this dress enough to keep it," I said.

FDS looked at me and smiled. "Ahh, is that right?"

When Lovely Beautiful Daughter arrived home from work, she looked me up and down. "Well look at you in your fancy boots."

I was sitting in my chair at my desk.

"You really look all professor-like in that outfit," LBD said. "Should take a picture of you sitting there in front of your computer."

At this point, the dress is a keeper. It is really comfortable, and I know I'll be able to dress it up or down with just a switch of the shoes. Who knew at almost 54 years of age I'd finally develop some fashion sense?

The burgundy dress that's helping me break away from jeans and t-shirts

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky