Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dinner Disaster

I know Hubby meant well in making the decisions he did for our dinner this evening, but the meal we just finished was probably the most disappointing one I've had in a long, long time. Because I try to eat sensibly for breakfast and lunch, I really look forward to topping off the day with a good, healthy meal that makes me feel like I've accomplished what I set before me in regards to food and my health. I admit, I veer off the healthy foods path far more often than I like, and that's why the last meal of the day is so important to me. Tonight, that still-bleeding, three inches thick hunk of meat with all that fat running through it, well, let's just say the dog enjoyed it. I felt immense sadness as I walked away from the table after only eating a sweet potato and a piece of birthday cake made for Angel Baby who turned 14 today, and now my mind is in anguish over not having eaten a healthy meal. This evening's dinner ended up being one of those moments that can't be taken back. There's no do-over.

To get my mind off the suffering it is experiencing, I'm going to go shopping. I have a list of foods I need for my healthy foods pantry and fridge, and I think walking the aisles, putting veggies, fruits and fish into the cart are exactly what I need to move past this painful event. See, just thinking about the shopping is making my mind slow itself, move away from the tragedy that was dinner.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

You could do worse than a sweet potato :)

Randall Brison said...

Yep, sweet potatoes aren't bad. Go easy on us men. I was a rigid health nut at different times in my life, and sometimes I let that get in the way of relationship -- not that you have to eat everything someone prepares for you. That said, your writing is stimulating, as always.

Denise and I have thought about you and yours regularly, especially since Todd and Kate were married Oct. 13, 2012. Getting ready for the wedding -- collecting pictures, especially -- brought back memories. You came to our place at least once to eat. (Can't remember if netiquette requires I refrain from mentioning other names, so I won't.) Can we count the Black Pig Party? That would be twice -- still have those pictures in my head and somewhere in a box.

Todd and Kate will graduate from ETSU in May, God willing. (BTW, I now have a red-headed daughter -- one thing I always wanted. :)

Ian is a junior at TTU, which gives us an excuse to visit Cookeville regularly. Works out well for a long weekend trip to Johnson City and back. He likes it there and is growing up more like his father than his mother, which means he is meandering along. I will say he'll probably have an undergraduate degree in about half the time it took me.

I finished a novel. It's not the worst I've ever read, not the best, but it's finished. What a joy to be able to say that! I was working on number 2, but not for several weeks now -- got to get back in the saddle and persevere like my good friend JK. :)

JK said...

I love sweet potatoes, so of the entire meal, I was thankful to at least have that.

Todd is married!? Congrats to him and Kate. How's Denise doing with the empty nest?

Can I read your novel? I'd love to. What an accomplishment to have finished one. Go you!

Remember how we'd get together and share our writing? Those were good times. I learned a lot from you.