Rethinking My Thinking

This morning I went out for a ride, eventually getting 51 miles in. My desire was to try and do 40 miles at an average of 18 mph. At the 20 mile mark, I was at 18 but I was also out of gas. I slowed down for a bit, actually for 10 miles, then decided to eat my PB&J sandwich to see if it along with the sports drink would give me a boost. The next ten miles went better. I was able to keep the average speed at 17.1, but because I was truly fatigued by the 40 mile mark, I slowed way down to finish off the last 11 miles.

So now I'm wondering if I should do the endurance race next Saturday. I know I can go for six hours without any problem at all. Me being the person that I am, though, was thinking I should shoot for a respectable average speed for the six hours, and in my mind that respectable speed is 18 mph. After today, I know I won't be able to do it. 17 maybe. But 18 is most likely not going to happen.

Hubby chalks my fatigue up to a medical procedure I underwent on Wednesday, and the meds I was on. He thinks my body is still working to heal. I feel fine, back to normal even, but maybe there are still some residual effects of the meds and the procedure. Maybe.

What I should probably do is rethink my goal for this race. It is, after all, my first endurance race. I should just go to learn the ropes, to enjoy meeting new people, and to just finish. I should. How do I convince myself of this?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky