In Search of My Ideal Weight

For awhile now, I've been lamenting the fact that I have a spare tire around my middle that I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do. Hubby, being the nice guy that he is, just laughs at me, saying I'll need that spare tire once the BTUSFMS ride comes around. Yeah, he's a really funny guy. He then goes on to say I'm delusional, and that if I complain about my "spare tire" in front of other women they'll beat the living daylights out of me. According to him, I don't have a spare tire. I see flab, though, and I really want it gone.

So yesterday, I picked up the latest Bicycling magazine because as I was walking by the rack, it practically screamed at me, "Hey! You! Get rid of that spare tire!" I looked over at it, and on the cover in bold letters was the title of an article on the inside that discusses how to get to your ideal cycling weight no matter if you're wanting to race, ride long distances, or just putz around. I could feel the hope welling up. Maybe I would finally find the answer to what I was doing wrong, and not getting to what I envisioned as my ideal weight.

At breakfast this morning, which included Ezekiel cinnamon-raisin toast, Greek yogurt, a banana, and a tall glass of water, I began reading the article. First I had to measure my wrist and the two bones in my elbow to determine if I have a small, medium, or large frame. I found out I am between a medium and a large frame. I have always known I'm not a small frame, but to find I'm actually between a medium and a large frame was enlightening. It was also a relief. I now am beginning to understand why all the clothes made for the "average" woman in America don't fit me.

I then entered in the numbers asked for to determine my ideal weight. The result? I am already at my ideal weight. I was stunned. Here I've been trying all kinds of food combinations, exercises, and making sure my heart rate stayed above 145 for an extended period in the hopes of taking off more weight. Obviously, my body knows better than I do.

With this new-found information, I'm going to try and relax about the whole spare tire thing. I'm not overweight. I'm at a healthy BMI. I can't remember the last time I was sick. I have a strong body that does what I ask it to do. Lots of people can't say these things. I should be thankful that I can. Yes, I am thankful.

Comments

J said…
See? I told you you were perfect as is!!!
JK said…
Well . . . I don't know about perfect. Never perfect. Acceptable maybe.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky