Sunday, April 3, 2011

Boiler Sprint Tri Results

Boiler Sprint Tri 2011
Well, I didn't meet my goal of 1:25. While that's somewhat disappointing, I'm happy with how things went considering. I finished at 1:28, 13th out of 41 women, 112th out of 156 overall. I know where my weaknesses are, and I just need to dig deep to overcome those weaknesses.

The swim went okay. I've never timed myself swimming a 300 or 400, so I just guess when I enter my swim time while registering for an event. Stupid move number one. Each time, this has meant I've seeded myself lower than what I should have. I end up behind slower swimmers, and when they swim three abreast in the lane, anyone behind them can't get around. This happened yesterday. Although, I will say that yesterday the event organizers allowed people to jump ahead in line even if their seed time was slower. Three guys decided they were faster than what they really were and jumped in front of me. Then they swam side by side most of the swim, preventing others who wanted to pass from doing do. Finally, the last 50, things opened up and I was able to get by them. Swim time: 6:52.

The transition from the swim to the bike was freezing! The event started at 9, and though the sun was shining, the temperature hovered right around 37. Add in a slight breeze to make things feel even colder. So the run from the pool to the bike was cold. I couldn't feel my feet by the time I reached my bike. I quickly donned my pullover and the rest of my equipment then grabbed my bike and headed out of the transition area. Transition time: 3:26.

The bike was fun. This was the first real opportunity to see what it can do. I found out it can fly. As I got going, I was feeling really good. Passing people just makes me all the more hungry to see how many others I can pass. The first major hill I handled well, shifting when I needed to and powering up. At the top, I started shifting to get my speed back up. The chain came off. I tried all the tricks to get it back on without having to stop, but no go. The chain became locked up. No way around not having to stop, flip the bike over, gently slip the chain out of its wedged position, and ease it back onto the sprocket. I was able to do this quickly, so I was back on and riding again without having lost too much ground. Around mile 7 the biggest challenge loomed in front of me. I've never seen such a steep hill. I, the lover of hills, felt fear tingle in my limbs. About a third of the way up, I was done, and I am so ashamed to say I had to get off the bike and walk the rest of the way. From the top of that hill to the finish, I pushed it as much as I could to make up the lost time on the hill. At one point, I was coming up on anther participant. He looked over his shoulder and saw me coming, and I could see him do all he could to get going faster. It was actually quite comical watching him. I sailed by with what I'm sure was a huge smile on my face. Bike time: 43:30. Average speed: 17.1.

At the transition, my legs were jelly and my hands were freezing. I had a tough time changing shoes, tying laces, and unclasping the chin strap of my helmet. Transition time: 2:11.

The run? Well, not good. I know--surprise, surprise. Ever since doing the stair climb, when I put a lot of effort in with exercising, my lungs tighten and hurt. I started running and the pain was very uncomfortable. I walked for about a minute then ran for about two, walked for one, ran for two, and kept doing this until the lungs felt better. The first mile and an half wasn't good at all. In mile two things began to feel much better, and I was able to settle into a relatively comfortable pace. Mile three I slowed down again for just a bit. The last half mile I tried to keep a nice, steady pace and crossed the finish line feeling good. Run time: 31:59. Average pace: 10:19.

In the end, I'm happy with how I did. I certainly wish I had been able to climb that monstrous hill, but now I have something to look forward to next year. I'll return and conquer that beast. I also wish I had had a better run, but knowing how I was feeling, I'm really quite happy with the average pace. Plus, I now have something to work on for the next event in two weeks.

I do have to say, one of the very best things about participating in these events is crossing the finish line and seeing Hubby waiting for me, a huge grin on his face, and the high five he always gives. There's no one I'd rather see standing there waiting for me.


J said...

Your time is wonderful! Congratulations on a job well done in conditions such as those!

For next tri, will you have your husband time your swims?

JK said...

Thanks, J. I've been timing my swims, so I now have a more accurate time to enter when I register. Hopefully I'll be able to swim uninterrupted the next race.