Frustrations Along With Some Happiness

I finally cracked and stepped onto the scale. I knew better than to do this, but when my brother asked me the other night how much weight I've lost because I'm looking thin, I decided it was time to see exactly what I've lost.

I've gained 5 pounds.

I almost grabbed up the scale to fling it through the bathroom window. It has never been my friend, and now it seems like a straight up enemy. When my hubby learned my weight has increased, he seemed excited. "It's muscle," he said. "You're incresing muscle with all the biking, swimming, and running." Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but the idea of muscle rather than fat is easier to take. Not by a whole lot, but still easier.

So I took my measurements to compare to last month's numbers. All are the same except two: my hips went down .5 inches and my chest increased by 1 inch. Again, not quite like I was hoping to see. My hips are slim anyway, so losing a half inch makes my hip to waist ration just about zero. I have no waistline to speak of. My chest, on the other hand, is broad and the ladies well endowed. I don't need to add an inch in that area. Hubby thinks the additional inch is due to the swimming. I don't know what is going on, but it's like my body is responding to the training in a really strange way.

Despite these frustrations, there have been a couple of changes that make the frustrations easier to deal with. The first is my birthday gift from Hubby. He bought me a beautiful hybrid road bike. I took it for it's first spin today. It flies. For some time now I've been using Hubby's bike that we have set up in the garage, and everytime I ride, my thighs burn and ache with the effort. Today, on the trail, I barely pedaled and the new bike flew. Hubby couldn't keep up with me. I was stunned. After our ride, I ran two less than eleven minute miles. I've had such a difficult time running under twelve minutes each mile, but today and yesterday I was able to do two eleven minute or less miles. Progress is being made.

So, despite the weight being up, the progress I see in other areas brings me happiness. I'm thinking I actually will do okay with the sprint tri come April.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky