Another Teenager in the House

My middle child turned 13 yesterday. We kept it simple this year, just a birthday dinner followed by cake. Those in attendance included just us, minus his sister who had a track meet a couple of hours away, and in a quiet way we celebrated the day he was born.

As I baked his cake during the day, a white with chocolate ribbon through the middle and white icing to top it off, I thought about finding out I was pregnant with him. I was elated to be having a boy, and from the moment he entered the world, he has shown me just how much he loves me. Sometimes he becomes a bit too dependent, wanting to be with me all the time, almost sitting on top of me at times as he gets that close. I try never to say anything, for I know one day he'll be more than ready to leave the nest. It will be then that I will be glad for his need for attention, for closeness. It will be then that I wish he was here, sitting as close to me as possible.

Because he is starting track this week, I bought him a set of weights and a bench. He's been talking about lifting to get ready for discus and shot put, so last evening, we worked out together. I ran a mile while he lifted. When I switched to the bike, he continued lifting. After ten minutes on the bike, I went to begin lifting while he got on the treadmill. He walked a mile while I lifted, using his new bench and weights. I then went to get in one more mile on the mill while he rode the bike. When we finished, he was smiling through the sweat. At that point, he looked at me and said, "I had a great birthday."

Doesn't get much better than that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky