Cool Couple of Happenings

The first cool happening occurred last Friday when I took my daughter to the thrift store to see if there possibly existed a dress suitable for prom. We found one that with a good dry cleaning would be very nice, but Lovely Daughter thought she'd like to shop around at the various thrift stores in town before making a decision. I'm afraid the dress won't be there if she decides she wants it, but that's the chance she'll take in shopping around. I probably should have bought it since it was only $10. At that price, we wouldn't be out much if she found a different dress elsewhere. But I digress.

The cool happening took place after we examined the dresses. Because I received a turn-table for Christmas, I've been collecting albums, most of which have cost only $1. The most expensive record bought to date has been a Beatles album my son wanted, and that one was only $5, so we've been having fun bringing home records. Last week I thought it'd be nice to find the soundtrack to the movie One on One, starring Robbie Benson. I saw this movie when I was in seventh or eighth grade, and I had the eight-track tape to it. I played that tape over and over, mostly for the one song on it, "Fair Share." I'm not sure what it is about that song, but I love it. Well, while we were at the thrift store, I was rummaging through the box of albums and lo and behold, there was One on One. I was stunned. And very, very estatic. I held up the album and exlaimed my joy to my daughter who in turn laughed at me. I've now listend to the album several times during the last week. Funny thing, though--the rest of the family doesn't share my enthusiasm for the music.

Cool happening number two transpired Tuesday evening. I help coach a 7th grade boys basketball team, mostly just giving encouragement to the boys during practices and games. Tuesday, the head coach had to be out of town, so the role of coaching the boys during the game fell on my shoulders. The team we faced was a team that blew us out of the gymnasium the last time we met. They whomped us good. Tuesday, the other team only had five players, which meant they couldn't press us all game like they had the previous game. Without the press to worry about, my boys played as if they were out to prove something. And they did. We won the game. The other team started pressing the last five minutes, but unlike last time and because I shifted some of the boys around, we were able to score easily off the press. This win was very, very sweet. The boys played so unselfishly, passing, and helping out on defense. Mostly all I did was tell them they knew what to do, so go do it. They did.

I truly believe cool happenings take place when we relax and let the cosmos do what they're designed to do. When we try to control everything, that's when the cosmos get out of sync. I'm guilty of trying to control things often, but lately, I've been trying to relax, meditate, let the karma that makes up life take me where it deems is best. It's a good feeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky