I love watching the Olympics. Watching athletes in phenomenal shape motivates me to work a little harder when I'm running or biking. I know I'll never be in the kind of shape the athletes are, but I know I can improve and be better than where I am today. Knowing this has made me make adjustments to how I'm working towards the sprint tri, and because I'm seeing some real improvements in the three different areas, I see a tremendous effect on my mindset, not just with working out, either. Other areas of my life are benefitting from the time being spent on the treadmill, the bike, and in the water.

One major turn in my outlook is not to waste time. I put a post-it note in my office with the message, "Every second counts." Everyday I see this as I'm working, and I've been so much more productive in getting papers read, assignments drawn up, and other work-related matters taken care of. I don't watch as much TV anymore, either. This has been an area of my life that I have wanted to change, but it's just so easy to come home after work and flop on the couch to veg out for several hours at a time. With the idea that every second counts constantly at the forefront, I can't justify spending two or three hours watching something that isn't positively affecting my life. Now, I spend the time reading or writing, cleaning the house or helping the kids with whatever they are working on. I find something positive to do.

Another area, probably the most important, of my life that I've been working on is my relationships with others. I hurt someone who was a friend, to the point that she would no longer talk to me or respond to invitations to get together. I initially thought she was being petty about the situation, but then I woke up one morning and admitted I really missed her friendship. I'm trying to mend the rift I created. Now, what happens will happen. Another relationship I'm working on is my marriage. I've been rough on my hubby, mostly because I have expectations that are not easy to fulfill. I needed to relax, be happy with what is right in front of me. So I stepped back and decided that each day I am going to look for as many good things about hubby as I possibly can. I still have moments of being negative, but I do see some change; I'm not nearly so tense and I find myself laughing with him more.

My life is so rich, and though I still have a ways to go, the changes already are good. I like what I'm seeing, where I'm going, and how I'm feeling. All because every second counts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light