Like I Really Need Another Camera

Got myself another toy today. I know absolutely nothing about this camera, but I thought it would be fun to play with (if it actually works). 

I took it out of its case and started fiddling with it. I could tell there was a roll of film in it. I absolutely love getting an old camera that still has film in it. I couldn't get the rewind to work since I didn't really know what I was doing, so then the question became: Should I open it? For the next ten minutes I went back and forth. I had no idea what kind of film was in it. I had no idea how long it had been in it. It'd be cool to develop it and see what pictures the owner (who I was told was 92) had taken. But I didn't know this person and the likelihood of the images coming out decently was pretty slim. So I opened the camera.  

Inside was a roll of Tri X Pan, circa the mid 1980's. I was really kicking myself for not taking more time to figure out the rewind feature, as I could have developed this roll myself and not been out much more than a couple of dollars. I'm imagining pictures of family (perhaps the daughter who handed me the camera and said it belonged to her dad, but he couldn't remember anymore how to use it). I could have given her the prints. 

So many should haves and could haves in life.

After removing the film, I got the lens cleaner out and polished the lens as well as the viewfinder. The first time I looked through the viewfinder the haze made everything look blurry. Now what I see is clear. I then set about trying to find a manual online for this little beauty. Turns out this camera and the Kalimar A were similar, and since I couldn't find a manual specific to the Welmy 35, the one for the Kalimar A would be somewhat helpful. And it was.

I loaded some color film and started messing with it, finally figuring out how to cock the shutter. Lo and behold, I was able to take two pictures. What they'll end up looking like is a mystery as I have no idea if the f stop and shutter speed were set correctly, but that's part of the fun in taking on a camera I know absolutely nothing about. What makes this camera so cool is it's purely mechanical. There is no battery, there is no light meter, there is nothing but me hopefully getting the settings correct, cocking the shutter, and pressing the shutter button. 




I'm diggin' the little strap on the case. 
Easy to carry around.
I can't wait to shoot this roll of film and see what turns out!


The case is in really good shape.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky