Being a Student

I'm taking two grad classes this semester. A better idea would have been to take one, but hey, when I decide to do something I figure jump in all the way. 

So far, I'm staying afloat. Barely. Teaching five composition classes and being a part of "develop a new course" group is a lot. And then there's Teddie on top of all this. Teddie the sweetie. Teddie the needy. Teddie the terrible (but just every now and then, never all the time, thank goodness). I haven't been this busy in my life since the kids lived at home and were involved in their activities. I'd gotten used to the slowing down, the free time to do absolutely nothing. 

Now, if I don't put what needs to be completed on the calendar, it doesn't get remembered or completed. 

But I'm afloat. 

One goal I am determined to achieve is get the darkroom done. DONE! It's been three years in the making, with nearly everything I need to develop the first roll of film, but I've dragged my feet. Most of the dragging is me being me -- afraid of failure. If I don't actually put a roll of film in the canister, there's no way to fail. Right? I can just send it off and have it developed for me. But what's the fun in that? 

I think back to my time in the darkroom years ago, and that was a wonderful time of my life. I absolutely loved being in the darkroom. I want that back. So I picked up a metal cabinet that I'll use to hang the film in once it's developed (even the rolls I might inadvertently ruin during processing). Now all I need to do is finish up making the room light tight. That's been the tough part. The window isn't the problem. The door and door frame are. I'm not quite sure how to deal with them, but I'll figure it out. 

The two grad classes have got me all fired up to get back deep into the photography. Most of my thoughts these days are immersed in all things photography. I even bought some color film to play with a camera I've not ever used, one that was given to me and I have no idea how it works. I had to watch a YouTube video to learn what button did what. It's now loaded with film and ready to go, along with my old Nikon FE loaded with black and white film, and my Sony a6300 (which I'm really considering upgrading to the new Sony a6700). 

I'm glad I decided to become a student again. It's leading me back to where I really want to be.


Sony a6300, 85mm, ISO 400 f/18 1/500

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky