Checking Off Another House Upgrade

I finally did it. I took a deep breath and said just do it. So I drew out a wad of money and got my fireplace the way I really wanted it: with a wood-burning fireplace insert. A year and a half ago, I had a vent-free gas insert installed. I liked it, but it just wasn't what I really wanted. I figure I only get one go at this thing called life -- there are no dress rehearsals -- so I decided to remove the vent-free gas insert and go with a woodstove. I had initially planned to do a free-standing woodstove and tile the firebox a really pretty pattern, but that plan just wasn't going to work out. The chimney needed work I wasn't going to be able to do.

So I called in the professionals, and after discussing the issue with them, they got me all set up. The work took about five and a half hours, and I enjoyed watching the entire process. I think the coolest part was looking up into the chimney after it was cleaned. All the nasty was gone. I could see the red brick instead of black goo and spider webs. 

Two guys worked inside while two guys worked up at the top of the chimney. Once the liner was in, the two inside hooked up the insert then put fire retardant insulation all around up inside the smoke chamber, and the two up top outside mixed up more fire retardant insulation that was then poured down into the chimney to surround the liner. A new chimney cap with spark arrestor was placed on top to finish it all off.

Now, I can have a wood fire on cold winter days. I am so excited.

I might even have a fire this evening. Just for kicks and giggles. It'll be chilly enough after the sun goes down to justify having a small fire. 


The first photo is the firebox after the chimney had been swept and the liner inserted from up top. The second photo is the new fireplace insert with a custom surround. The head honcho of the company who did the install used to be a fireman and is also a former fire marshal. He was all about safety, which I am totally on board with. His parting advice was to get a hearth rug to put down. He thinks the fireplace is just a tad too close to the hardwood floor. 

Now I'm looking up hearth rugs, which there are a ton of, so it basically just comes down to making a choice. And taking a deep breath then just doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why