New Furnace Mission Accomplished!

The new furnace is in and so far so good. The only hiccup in the process was buying the wrong size plenum and having to buy the right size, which meant a delay of three days' work while waiting for the correct plenum to arrive.
  

This is the old furnace. I tried finding out what year this is from, but so far no luck. The closest I came was one that looked similar, and it was from the 1960s. When we took this apart, this was the inside:
 

This thing was so interesting. It was basically a drum where the air heated up then was sent through the ducts. At least that's how I understood it. The flame to heat this was huge, as was just the pilot. 

Now I have this:


Quite the difference in size, and no more power box with an old-school fuse running the fan. The electrical is up-to-date, and the old gas line is out, replaced by new gas-flex tubing. It is so quiet when the air conditioner comes on that I have to actually go to the vents to see if it's really on. 

I didn't use the air conditioner much during the summer because there was an issue with the thermostat. Ever since the gas leak last November and the on/off/pilot component being replaced in the old furnace, the air conditioner wouldn't get to the set temperature and would just run and run. I only used it for an hour or two before bed on the hottest nights. I became very used to the heat and the humidity. This new furnace solved the thermostat problem, thankfully, but now I'm finding I'm actually cold though the setting is at 76 degrees. First world problem, I know. Good grief.

At this point, all the really important updates to the house have been accomplished. The peace of mind I have now regarding the mechanicals, water lines, and electrical is well worth all the time, energy, and money put into making the changes. I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe building the deck off the back of the house. Maybe changing out the garage door. Maybe taking a break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky