The Best Housewarming Gift Ever

I awoke very early this morning, around 4 am, and turned towards the window. Through the lace curtains I could see two very bright "stars" in the southeastern sky. I got out of bed and parted the curtains to get a better view. I knew the "stars" were more likely planets because of how bright they were and how they didn't "twinkle" like stars do.

The stars . . . incredible. In the city, I would go to the hill near the apartment and stargaze, but I always felt a tad disappointed in not being able to really see the stars. This morning, I stood at the window for some time, taking in the view. I could see the stars so clearly. I had the thought of going outside to lie down in the grass to take in the beauty of the early morning sky, but I decided to snuggle back under the covers for a couple more hours.

Curious about the celestial bodies I had seen at 4 am, I did some research and found a site that gives the night sky for the date and time submitted. All I had to do was move the compass to give me the southern sky and wha-la, there it was! The brighter bodies are indeed planets: the big one Jupiter, the small one Saturn. If I had looked just a bit further east as I stood at the window, I would have seen Mars, too! Seriously, how cool is this?!?


Now I'm smitten! I keep playing with this website to see the different constellations, and I'm determined to spend time outside this evening to stargaze (fingers crossed it doesn't get cloudy). I'm also going to set my alarm for 4:30 am to get up and see all three planets.

What a wonderful housewarming gift the universe has given me.

Comments

Thryn said…
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!
JK said…
Well, I did do some stargazing before bed, but the sky was cloudy at 4:30 am, so no planet gazing this morning. Bummer. Hope you are well, K.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky