My "Shelter-in-Place" Place

I am fully in my new home. And every time I walk through the door, I smile and say hello to my new surroundings. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to make this move, and I know without a doubt that I made the right decision in leaving a place that was exactly what I needed when I was facing a bad time in my life. I truly believe each step that I've made over the last three years has been guided by a force way bigger than I am or ever will be.

It's a bit uncanny how quickly all of this happened. I started looking for a place in December, thinking my lease would be up at the end of May and it might take three or four months to actually find the house I wanted, get the loan in place, and move. I had already spent some time looking at houses online, knowing approximately what my top end needed to be for me to feel comfortable with a mortgage. I knew the small towns I wanted to check out, too, so I spent a couple of days making a list of houses I wanted to look at.

I think I looked at ten or eleven houses altogether, and I knew without a doubt when I walked into this place that it was THE house for me. I've not once thought otherwise. If anything, when I think about the other houses, including the one I wanted to make an offer on but couldn't because someone else beat me to it, they didn't bring out the happy in me the way this place did the first time I walked through the door.

Living area looking back towards
dining room and hall to back
bedrooms.
The creaky hardwood floors. The beautiful original woodwork. The large windows letting in tons of light all day long. The big closets. The full basement where I can store my bikes. The fireplace that needs some TLC. The screened-in front porch. The garage with the leaning chimney I need to knock over.

I simply love this house.

And when Funny Delightful Son came over last week for the first time, when he walked in and stood in the dining room, his big smile told me he, too, loves this place. He marveled at all the same things I did when I first walked through during the open house. After checking out the bedrooms, the bath, and the basement, he looked at me and said, "This is so much nicer than I had imagined from what you had described." I'm pretty sure he said something to that effect three or four times. Now, Funny Delightful Son is planning to come stay with me for a while and help with some of the things I'd like to work on during the summer. Like painting the house. I am so stoked to paint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky