My Kind of Sunday

Nearly 27 miles today. With intensely numb toes by the end. So numb I simply couldn't feel the floor after taking off my cycling shoes. My fingers? Just fine. My face? No problem. Even without my balaclava. I've searched the apartment for my neoprene booties, but so far no luck. So the toes are just going to have to go numb. 
Towards the end of my ride. I didn't
realize until after seeing this photo on the
computer that I'm actually in it, too.

My go-to for thawing out my toes was hot chocolate spiked with a little bit of Bailey's Irish Cream. I'll ride 27 miles in 35 degrees with a real feel of 29 any day if it means hot chocolate with Bailey's is waiting for me at the end. I thought about having a second but then I thought, "J, save that last bit of Bailey's for another day. You'll be glad you did." So I tucked the Bailey's back in the fridge, behind the milk and orange juice (not that anyone else will drink it, but just to be safe . . .).

Then I took a two-hour nap. Yep. Two hours. I wouldn't really call it a nap, though. More like dozing off then being awakened by something happening on The Great British Baking Show episode I was watching, then dozing off only to be awakened by Ado climbing up on my lap because he wanted the chair, but I wasn't inclined to move, then dozing off again only to be awakened by Angel Baby standing beside me, asking, "How much of this episode did you miss?" Why does it matter? Isn't that was rewind is for?

Yummy roasted butternut squash.
Watching cooking shows makes me want to cook, so I went to the kitchen and got to work making the butternut squash soup I've been thinking about for two weeks (yeah, sometimes it takes me a while to actually follow through on what I'm thinking of doing). As soon as I put the squash in the oven to roast, Ado came to the doorway and looked at me, like, "We go walk now?" My track record of having 
The soup! 
something on the stove or in the oven then going outside isn't good. I don't need a repeat of forgetting about something cooking and nearly burning the apartment down. That would be bad. But he looked at me with that face, those dark brown eyes, and I couldn't say no. So I turned everything off and we set out for our late  afternoon walk.

And it was just beautiful out. The wind had died down. The sun was setting, the sky streaked pink and yellow. If every day could be like today, which started off with Lovely Beautiful Daughter picking us up to go to breakfast, I'd be all right with that. 

Comments

RKBrison said…
J, just enjoy your writing like always. Pray you and yours are well. Keep on riding :-) Randy B
JK said…
Thank you, Randy. I hope you and your family are well and happy!

Seeing this comment from you stirred up so many wonderful memories of grad school and our kiddos playing together. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why