New Diet = Less Fatigue

The new energy I have is totally blowing me away. For so long, the feeling of a nap coming on in the afternoon happened as if someone had flipped a switch, and I just reconciled myself to having to nod off for twenty or so minutes. Since last Thursday, when I started eating six meals a day rather than the usual 3, I haven't felt the need for a nap, I've been able to stay awake past 10 p.m., I'm awake and ready to start the day when my alarm goes off, and I have accomplished so much more with my workouts the last couple of days than I had been. I'm a convert through and through.

Some time back I made the decision to go vegetarian, and for the most part I follow a vegetarian diet. I rarely eat read meat, choosing instead to go for fruits, veggies, fish, and egg whites. I also made the decision to cut back on white flour products and refined sugar. Yesterday I did have a bison burger, which was good, but I won't have another one for awhile due to the amount of cholesterol one burger contains. While the fat content was low and the protein was through the roof, I just can't justify clogging my arteries no matter how tasty the food was. Due to the egg whites, fish, and protein shakes, my protein intake has increased significantly, and I'm thinking this, along with the frequency of eating, is another reason my energy is higher.

I started reading Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance by Matt Fitzgerald (I know full well I'll never be an elite athlete, but if I can better my performance by taking off a couple more pounds, I'd like to do it), and he offers examples of  how elite athletes eat to make sure they can perform their very best. All of these athletes eat at least six times a day. I kinda feel like I'm eating all the time, which is fun in a way, but the types of foods I'm eating are very healthful and the good calories kind rather than the empty calories kind.

Where I started this semester with dread because of my dreadful schedule and thinking I was going to be worn out all the time because of it, I'm now not worrying about it anymore. As long as I eat, and as long as I make good food choices, the energy will be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky