Gotta Luv It

The breaking news of the global warming emails that suggest cover up, lies, and deceit, such as Gerald Warner's blog article, just make me say, uh huh, knew it all along. I've been a skeptic from day one, and on occasion I've had some intense discussions with family members. Like many in the global warming believing group, family members play the "all scientists agree" card. I've always thought and said if that's the case we're in trouble. We'd be opening ourselves up to further cover ups, lies, and disingenuous discussion. We need scientists who disagree. We need debate.

Being part of the academy, I know only too well how lonely it can be working where the majority hold opposite beliefs. While I have many friends, I make a point not to get into discussions that include politics, religion, and a whole host of other categories. I sit quietly and let my colleagues who are also my friends carry on their discussions which usually have them preaching to the choir made up of each other. One dear friend often refers to these discussions as "circle jerks." At least he sees them for what they are.

Recently several of us have been going back and forth on a very popular book series that has been turned into movies, creating a cultural phenomenon. While I agree the books-to-movies success has been extraordinary, I don't agree the books and the movies offer anything exceptional. I couldn't get through book 3 in the series, and I thought the latest movie was brilliantly boring. The only fun in going to see it was being with my friends who are completely taken in by all the hype. We still carry on debates about what can be deemed worthy in regards to the books and the movies, and I am the odd person out, but the odd people out are necessary. All sides of an issue should be examined. The more gleened from an issue the better it can be understood.

I know lots of people disagree with me even now, but I'm good with that. I want people to disagree--everyone agreeing would make for a tremendously mind-numbing world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky