Thankful for My Health

Well, after six weeks, my thumb is still swollen and it still hurts. Wednesday while I was at my physical, my doc said it was time to x-ray it (I kinda think this should have been done six weeks ago, but I'm just a lowly English teacher who has no medical training). The x-ray tech said yes, there was definitely something but wouldn't tell me what. The doc had to tell me. The doc, though, ended up having her nurse call me and tell me my thumb was fractured. I needed to see an orthopedist. The orthopedist sent in his nurse practitioner who informed me a piece of the bone did break off and slipped down into the joint, which is why it still hurts and is still swollen. 

There's nothing that can be done for it. 

I knew before going to the orthopedist that most likely a piece of the bone had chipped off. All along I could bend my thumb a little bit and move it. The only issue I have is gripping things and using my thumb to open my car door. Any pressure on the thumb pad is painful. But the pain has lessened over the six weeks, and the bites themselves have healed up very nicely. I figured it's just going to take time for the rest of swelling and pain to go away. My hunches were confirmed today by the nurse practitioner. I could have saved myself the $50 co-pay and just not gone.

Other than the bum thumb, the rest of my physical went okay. My blood tests came back normal, for which I'm very thankful. I haven't seen the actual numbers yet, but the nurse said all the numbers were normal. Blood pressure: normal. Weight: another couple of pounds down. I got a tetanus booster and a shingles vaccination, the latter making me a little under the weather yesterday as the nurse said it might, but today I feel back to normal save both arms are still a bit sore at the injection sites. All in all, my health is very good.  

After my thumb diagnosis today I made my way to the grocery store that sells Japanese sweet potatoes. I was really hoping I could pick up a couple. The last time I was there they were out. Luck was on my side today, and I was able to get four very nice taters. I do cringe when I see the price for these, but they are so worth it. I popped one into the instant pot as soon as I got home, took the boys for a nice walk, and it was ready when we got back. Perfection.

I also picked up grow lights and potting soil while in town. This weekend is supposed to be fairly nice and warm, so I'm going to put the soil in all the makeshift pots I've been collecting -- empty toilet paper rolls, empty paper towel rolls, and an assortment of other containers -- and set them in the sun to warm. I can't do all of the seeds this early, but I can get going on cool weather veggies like carrots, lettuce, and broccoli. I'm so ready to start gardening. I haven't felt the desire to garden for a couple years now, but being out here with lots of space for a nice garden . . . the spark is back. And it feels good. I'm excited to grow the foods that I love to eat.

The foods that have helped me stay healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky