At Least It's Sunny and Warm

My project is currently at 26,000 words. Almost halfway to my goal of 60,000 words. Actually, I'm shooting for 60,000-70,000 words by the time I'm done. That'll give me a good starting place to go in and revise, maybe add to what already exists. Every time I see the wordcount roll past another thousand words written, I get stoked. Even finding out I have to pay a couple thousand in federal taxes can't diminish the happiness I feel seeing the writing coming along.

I went in and did my taxes last night, figuring I better get on it, and by the time I was done, I was just shaking my head over how much I have to pay on top of what was taken out of my yearly salary. I couldn't figure out why I owed so much since I had gone to HR and revised my withholding, so I went out to work today to see if I could make another change. I'd like to avoid having to write a check to the IRS every year. After talking with our payroll person, we figured out what will work. Hopefully. I guess I'll find out next tax season.

Which means quite an additional chunk being taken out of each paycheck now. I also found out a few other things regarding tax laws, like the IRS is really nasty to married couples who file separately. What's up with that? And the underpayment penalty? Seriously? Let's just rub salt in the wound, why don't we. Not only doe the IRS get a nice slice of my pie each paycheck, but it can decide I'm not paying enough each paycheck even though if I don't pay enough I'll end up paying them what I owe by April 14 each year. That, evidently, isn't good enough. The IRS then applies an underpayment penalty. Where did all these arbitrary rules come from? And the fact that we just plod along accepting it is crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for paying taxes as they do help fund a lot of wonderful programs. I'll gladly give from what I make to be sure these programs are kept going. What I have a tough time wrapping my brain around is how I and many others end up paying a significant chunk while big corporations pay nothing. ON BILLIONS OF PROFIT! How does this make any sense?

I stopped trying to make sense of a lot of things over the last few years. It does nothing but cause inner turmoil. And thankfully I have the wherewithal to save enough through the year to pay what I owe once tax season rolls around. Still, I find myself, even right now, shaking my head at the very obvious unfairness that exists in this world. When it doesn't need to be this way.

But hey, at least it's sunny and warm today for the first day of spring break. What's not to like about that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky