Written on Sunday, Posted on Monday: Yeah, That's How I Roll

This past week being Thanksgiving week, I decided to use a couple of my personal days and take the entire week to just hang around the apartment with Ado. The time away from campus has been absolutely wonderful.

I wanted something colorful to cover up
the old phone jack on the wall in the
kitchen. Now, this makes me smile
every time I walk into the kitchen.
I've always wanted to learn to play
an instrument. I figured since Funny
Delightful Son didn't want to take this
to school with him, my opportunity to
do so opened up. I now know how to
play one song.
So far, my week has been me learning three chords on the ukelele, beginning a painting of birds on a wire, painting over the birds because I decided I didn't like them and painting new birds that I now like, going to the dentist for some teeth work I've been putting off (and happy to find out my blood pressure is good -- 112/80 (though the 80 is borderline) -- which I credit to regular meditation), putting up a faux tile backsplash for Ado's food dish since he's such a messy eater and was splattering food on the wall, doing yoga, and spending an awesome Thanksgiving day with the kids. I also took four different pies along with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream to the nursing staff at the county nursing home to thank them for the care they give the residents. I just don't think about all the people who have to work on Thanksgiving, so I wanted to make a change this year and think about them as well as thank them for what they do.

To top off our Thanksgiving day, Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I put up the Christmas tree and decorated it. I've never, ever put the tree up on Thanksgiving day. Usually I wait for the tree until a week before Christmas. This year, though, I decided to extend the season a bit. I have much to be thankful for, and the tree is that little reminder to give thanks every single day.

Angel Baby and I have come to an agreement about the Jeep Cherokee. The car I bought for him. The car that is a manual and I was convinced he would learn how to drive it with no problem. I noticed he's been dragging his feet about going out with me to learn how to drive it. I was all set to spend the week helping him get the hang of it, but here we are at Sunday and he's not gone out once though he seemed excited about using the week to nail this manual driving thing down. I told him I had decided to sell the car, and he very quickly said okay, which told me he's not into the car the way I was hoping he would be. Buying this particular car is most definitely my mistake -- I think Angel Baby was right when he said I bought the car more for me than I did for him. After he said he was okay with me selling the car, Angel Baby suggested I keep it, and if I didn't mind driving him to work when it is really cold he'd be just fine with that. I'm good with that, too, so we're going to keep the Jeep and basically use it only when it's just too cold and nasty outside to walk or bike.

So far, the weather has been decent enough to walk or bike, which is exactly what I did yesterday. I walked just over five miles for the day once I tallied up the walks with Ado and my walk to then from Uptown. I was feeling a bit restless, so I figured a walk to the cafe, where I could sip some coffee and read, would be a good thing. And it definitely was. Then I biked to the store for an extension cord. Lovely Beautiful  Daughter gifted me with a wreath made of photos from past Christmases, and it has lights on it, but I had no extension cord anywhere in the apartment. So off I went to the store. Not wanting to be done with my bike ride on my way home, I just kept going and made a wide circle. I'm always surprised by how cycling eases any tension I might be feeling.

Today I need to settle in and get some work done before heading back to campus tomorrow morning. Just two weeks of classes remain, then finals week. Time to buckle down and finish the semester in a good way.

P.S. Overnight the weather turned ugly. A couple inches of snow on top of rain that froze when the temperature dropped quickly. I'm really glad I got some longer walks in while the weather was warmer and decent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky