Creepy Cat-Calls After Dark

Lesson learned this evening: the bus that takes me from Uptown to home makes its last run at 8:25 pm. If you're not on that bus, you're walking home. Guess what. I had to walk home at 9:20 pm.

It's only a mile and a half. And most of the sidewalk, other than the odd spot here and there, is lit well enough to feel comfortable walking at night. And I did feel comfortable. Right up until I was almost to my street and I heard a voice call from about a block behind. I wasn't quite sure what I had heard at first, so I looked over my shoulder and saw a car had turned onto a side street then stopped. Something else I couldn't understand was said. I kept walking since I was just across from Farmer Guy's place, who I talk to every now and then. The light was on in the front window, so I figured if I needed to I could knock on his door, which I'm sure would create quite the surprise for him. But it'd give me a place to duck into if I felt I needed to.

Then the car was right beside me, and something was said to me. I looked over and said, "Sorry?"

"You good?"

"Yep. I'm good. Thanks," I said, trying to be loud and firm, the thought Farmer Guy might look out his window if he heard voices out front. I kept walking, not really wanting to turn down my street and have this guy follow me.

"Okay. You look good."

"Right. Thanks." 

Thankfully the guy turned into a driveway behind me and headed back the way he'd come. I watched him turn onto another street, and when he did, I crossed the road and made my way to my apartment. The last hundred yards, I kept looking over my shoulder to be sure he wasn't following.

A very small part of me wanted to laugh, as I thought if that guy saw me during the day, I'm sure he'd not give me a second look. He'd see the gray hair, the aging face, and the mom body and think no thank you. The other bigger part of me was completely annoyed and angry that this guy took me walking alone after dark as an invitation for him to make a move. What part of me ignoring the first cat-call was unclear? What part of me continuing to walk away means pull up alongside and harass me further?

Seriously. Did he really think I would just up and get in his car? WTF?

So, note to self: if riding bus late in the evening, the last one home leaves at 8:25. Also, it might not be a bad idea to carry pepper spray. And, before deciding to walk home after dark, see about getting a ride with Uber or Lyft first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky