Snowflakes, Dreams, and Starlings

Did you know snowflakes can hurt? I found this out yesterday on my way home from the transit station. I'd ridden my bike up in the morning to catch the bus, and during the afternoon a light snow fell when I returned to the transit station to get my bike and ride home. Almost as soon as I started out, a snowflake hit me in the eye. Not a pleasant feeling! All the way home I was blinking and keeping my head down to avoid having snowflakes maul my eyeballs.

Being out, riding through the snow, was invigorating. I've actually been considering trying to ride twenty miles or more on a weekly basis all winter long no matter what kind of weather we're having. First, I have to find my booties, though. I really don't like having cold toes.

You know what else hurts? Dreams. I had a dream last night during which something happened that created an intense emotional pain. One part of the dream I remember the most is me standing at a sink, washing coffee mugs and crying because of what had happened. Even when I woke up, I could still feel that gut-wrenching hurt that comes from feeling loss.

Now, after standing at the bus stop, watching a murmuration of starlings over Jersey Hill, that feeling from the dream has faded. What lingers is slight but still noticeable, and I hope over the course of the day the rest of the hurt created because of a dream disappears completely.

Speaking of starlings . . . I love them. I know a lot of people despise this bird because of how destructive it can be, but really, starlings have won me over. Starling murmurations are fascinating to watch, and after reading studies about the communication that takes place while they are in a murmuration, I think even more highly of these birds. It's like they're offering graceful choreography in the sky just for us to enjoy.

Comments

Thryn said…
Haven't posted in a while, but wanted you to know I"m here! And haven't missed a post. And have thoroughly enjoyed these posts on your exploring new ways of doing things --- from eating to commuting. I'm shaking my head thinking -- uh yeah, why do you think skiers wear snow goggles -- and smiling at the snow flake post but your poor eyes and toes! GEt you some good yellow sunglasses and booties woman! I stand in awe of you! K
JK said…
Hahahaha! Some things I just don't think about, like skiers wearing goggles because snow can hurt! But, now I know and yes, I'll get some good yellow sunglasses and find my booties. We got another two or three inches of snow last night, so I need to get these things like right now! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky