One Fear Down, Another One To Face Tomorrow

I conquered my fear of running alone in a strange city. At 6:15 this morning, with the sun just beginning to peek over the hills that surround the city, I set off, taking the route mentioned to me yesterday. I found the bike path without a problem and ran along the river and over to the minor league baseball stadium and beyond, to where the path went into another part of the city. There I turned around and headed back. When I returned, I mapped it to see how far I'd gone. Turns out I ran a 5k. And it actually felt good. If only the 5k from last weekend had felt as good.

I'll go out again in the morning. The route is pretty, at least along the river. The first three quarters of a mile are not so scenic, just sidewalk along a busy street and industrial buildings. But I feel like I really accomplished something by facing this fear while at the same time working on my running.

Tomorrow I'll face something else that scares me. I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what that will be. I'll know it, though, when I feel it. It might be something simple, like going up to someone at the conference that I don't know and starting up a conversation. I so don't do this. I'm a complete introvert through and through. Everyone here has been great ever since I arrived; I should put forth the effort to get to know as many people as I can. I truly do envy people who can go up to another and just strike up the chit-chat. That's a gift I wish I had. Tomorrow, I will face this fear of starting a conversation.

While I do wish I was home with my family, this trip has been good for me. It's pushed me out of my comfort zone in several ways. Plus, I've gathered lots of great ideas for the sports lit class I want to put together and teach in the spring. The only downside to today was the local minor league team losing their game. And from the scout's demeanor at the end, some of the hopefuls most likely won't be getting any offers anytime soon. Ah, well, que sera, sera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky