Thoughts on Listening

Listening is something I'm good at. I get accused of not saying a whole lot, of being "the quiet one." This is because I'm listening. I'd much rather listen than talk.

I know some people who talk just to hear their own voices. Annoying. Several of these people think they're funny. They're not. They're just irritating. Why do they talk constantly? Are they that uncomfortable with silence?

I love silence. I've noticed I've become very sensitive to the slightest noise. Even the hum of the furnace running gets on my nerves at times. I have to turn it off to get some relief. Some nights I've had to leave my bed because my husband's breathing is too loud. While his breathing is not actual snoring, it's close--ragged, throaty breaths that chase the quiet from the room. Since it keeps me awake, I get up and go to the couch. Sometimes I just go to my computer and work until I can't keep my eyes open any longer. I'll return to bed because I know then I will be able to sleep despite the noise in the room.

When someone calls me the quiet one, I apologize. What else can I say? It's like I'm being accused of something subversive, so I say I'm sorry. Usually the person will then say something like they can tell there's a lot going on in my mind, that I'm just not saying it. Perhaps that is true. Perhaps I just figure some things are better left unsaid. My motto has always been only speak if whatever it is I have to say is worthwhile. And doesn't hurt the person I'm with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light