Funny Summer

Weatherwise anyway. Still cloudy and cool days. Even cooler nights. We're pleased as punch not to have to have the air conditioner on, but here we are on the downslide of July, getting close to having to return to school, and the weather has not allowed us to get to the pool on a regular basis. This morning, I decided I'm tired of being cold. I want to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts, but the breeze is too cool for even this. Right now I'm in sweats to try and stay warm. Hopefully August will bring warmer days. The cool nights can stay as they are great sleeping weather.

The cool weather is great for working out. Being in the garage can be unbearable at times because of no air circulation. With the cool weather, I can walk/jog on the treadmill for a long time without getting overheated. I'm logging some serious miles, helping my little ladybug along her journey to 500 miles. I should have over 100 miles for the month, which is a good start for me. I do need to pick it up a bit and try to increase my speed. If I'm going to run a 5K, I need to work to up the speed. I don't want to cross the finish line in 30+ minutes. My goal is to stay under 30. My daughter is running again, getting ready to start cross country, and she said she'd run with me, so maybe with her I can come in under 30 minutes.

I've found my dream house. It's absolutely wonderful. It's an old, huge brick house on five acres. We went and walked around it the other evening. No one is living in it right now, and from what we've found out with some help from the internet is that a senior citizen was living there until October 2008. We're guessing this person either died or is now living with a relative or in a nursing home, and the family is wanting to sell the house. Words cannot describe this house. I stood in awe outside it the other evening, just mesmerized by its grandeur. I'm going to be in that house one day. My kids are going to be running around the five acres, enjoying the freedom that comes with country living. My husband is going to be mowing the lawn on his riding mower, loving being able to mow with a fun machine. We will be there. I just know it with all my heart.

One other activity I've started is meditation. I'm taking 15 minutes each morning to sit quietly, relaxing, listening, and being grateful. Since I started this, I feel like I'm walking around with a constant smile on my face. My husband noticed this the other day and asked what I'm so happy about. I just shrugged and said, "Everything." I like feeling this way. I'm now finding I want to learn about meditation, its benefits. There's so much out there on the subject it's difficult to sort through it all, but I did find a book on the bargain cart yesterday that I picked up because I'm familiar with the author, John Assaraf, and he is very knowledgeable about meditation, affirmations, and visualization. I'm on chapter 3 and am really enjoying what I'm reading. The concepts aren't difficult, but putting them into practice on a daily basis is. That's where I am: working to make these positive practices a part of my life without even thinking about it.

So, my parting for the day is a line from the book. This is what has spoken most loudly to me so far: "Most people focus on exactly what they don't want and wonder why it always shows up: They tune in to WIDW ("What I Don't Want") and are suprised that's the station they hear." I've already changed my station.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light