Taking Back My Time

The time has arrived to return to work. As always, the summer seemed to slip by so quickly. And as always, I'm not ready for the lazy days to end.

I've reached the point in my life where I'm thinking a lot about retirement. After 35 years in the classroom, it's definitely time to turn off the lights and close the door. My heart simply isn't into going through the motions of prepping, teaching, grading repeat. My heart is all about being home with the boys and moving slowly through our days. Our summer was absolutely lovely, and I want this kind of life all the time now, not just for three months of the year.

The main issue keeping me from retiring now is health insurance. If I knew I had really good insurance that wasn't going to cost a fortune, I'd retire right now. But that won't be the case, so I'm going to keep working at least two more years to hang onto the insurance I currently have. The upside is I do teach at a wonderful place. I have awesome colleagues and admin. I've been incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to teach where I do for the bulk of my career.

So I'll stay a bit longer.

The one thing I'm so grateful for regarding my job is being allowed to teach from home, which means I'm not driving every day and putting a lot of miles on my car. This also saves me a lot of money in gas. Given the state of the world, especially the decisions being made by the current administration, the price for gas just keeps going up. I'd be spending quite a chunk each week for gas alone if I had to go to campus every day.

Teaching from home also allows me to use my time differently. Instead of going through the routine of getting up, fixing breakfast, taking care of the dogs, dressing for work, then driving for 45 minutes to get to work, I get up, take care of the dogs, go for a walk with the dogs, have breakfast, sit out back with the dogs while I drink my coffee, then sit at my computer to work. I'm much more relaxed when I'm working. I think this actually makes me a better teacher as I'm not in a rush, I'm not stressed, and I'm not feeling overwhelmed.

The one area connected to how I use my time that I need to work on is reading about the state of our country. I read far too much every day, and all this does is make me angry and sad. Angry that so many voted for such a horrible person to be the leader of the free world. Angry that so many enable him. Angry that so many want to cuddle up to him for power and attention. Angry that those who are in a position to stop him are not doing so. 

After the anger the sadness seeps in. Sadness for those who have lost the safety net that helped them put food on the table. Sadness for those who have lost the health insurance that allowed them to seek medical attention. Sadness for those whose families have been torn apart because they came here looking for a better life. 

I'm tired of being angry and sad every day, and I know the only way to reduce these reactions is to stop reading, stop watching news reports. I'm going to try to take back some of the time I spend on both by just reading one particular person who writes nearly everyday. She's amazing and I trust her take on what is happening across the different parts of our government. I won't totally check out, as this is exactly what our government wants. I won't stay quiet, either.

I'm done with shitty humans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Calm Amidst the Pines

Looking Forward to 2024

Taking My Health Into My Own Hands (Cuz My Doc Certainly Isn't All That Helpful)