A Tiny Bit of Fall Purging

Last weekend Angel Baby and I went to visit Funny Delightful Son in his new home a state away. We first swung over to his former home and picked up his lovely lady friend so she could ride along with us. Four hours later, we arrived to find Funny Delightful Son standing on the sidewalk outside his apartment, waiting for us, a big grin on his face.

Long story short, we had a fabulous couple of days. Saturday we took a tour of his work campus, which is absolutely incredible. Seriously. If I had a campus like that to go to everyday I would go every single day with a huge smile on my face. The artwork alone throughout the buildings and around the buildings begs for attention. I was constantly walking off to inspect a sculpture or a painting or a mural. There are water features, a variety of landscapes, and seating spaces whispering come over, stay awhile. My favorite spots were the waterfall outside a cafeteria, and the swings on a balcony where one could spend hours enjoying the view overlooking the landscape. The playfulness of the entire campus makes a person truly want to be there.

Sunday we headed home, and on the way Lovely Lady Friend and I talked about ways to reduce and have minimal things in our lives. She brought up a capsule wardrobe, which I've heard of but never really spent much time researching. However, ever since we talked about it I thought maybe this would be something I can try. I have quite a few pieces in my closet that I haven't worn in two years or more, so perhaps it's time for those pieces to go to the thrift store. This morning, as I am wont to do when I have papers screaming at me that I need to grade them, I opened the door to my closet and set to work.

I started with the skirts and slacks. I had ten skirts and eight pair of slacks. I tried everything on to see if they all fit, which they did with a few things just too big now, and then I stood back and decided what to keep and what to put in the bag for the thrift store.


The beginning pile



The ending pile

I settled on two pair of black slacks and the gray trousers, a black skirt, and the khaki skirt (though now that I'm thinking about it, that khaki skirt just might go in the thrift store pile). I thought I was going to stop with this part of my closet, but I ended up going into my shirts and pulling a few of those out, too. Just a couple that I know without a doubt I no longer will wear. Then I opened the drawer with my bras. Several that I never wear/don't want to wear any longer went into the pile. I figured why stop there and went into my shorts/tank tops/casual wear. I pulled out enough of each to open up space in those drawers.


A few more things added

In the end, while I don't have a true capsule wardrobe yet, I do have a start towards creating one. I know without a doubt I have way too many pairs of jeans. And sweaters. Both can be pared down significantly. 

But those can wait for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky