An Inside Day

The weekend weather, sunny and 70's, spoiled me. I need more of those days. Today, however, is not to be one of those days. No. Today is 40's and misting.

Today is an inside day.

Thankfully I did get the lawn mowed yesterday. I love seeing how pretty it looks right after being mowed. That being said, I'm already thinking about turning as much of the lawn as possible into garden. While I enjoy mowing, I enjoy flowers and trees more. My goal is to turn my lawn into a beautiful, whimsical garden. This can't happen in one summer, I know. It'll be the rest-of-my-life kind of hobby.

This summer, I'm mostly going to see what's already here. All the way around the house there are daylilies. I like daylilies, but I might relocate a lot of them to another area of the yard. Maybe on the other side of the garage where they'll get a lot of sun in the afternoons and evenings.

I also have a few irises that are nearing their bloom time. And I've found some milkweed near the back of the house, which I'll leave alone. Monarch butterflies like milkweed, so I'll just let them go this summer to see what happens.

Other than the daylilies, irises, and milkweed, the area around the house is an empty canvas waiting for me to fill it up with color. And my big yard is just waiting for me to figure out what kind of beautiful garden to create. This will be tough. So many choices.

I could definitely create a space like this. I already have a bike I turned into a table, using an old piece of barn siding. It's quirky, and with a few potted plants on the table, with ferns or hostas growing around the tires, I think it would look pretty cool. I even have a couple of wire bike baskets hanging in the garage . . . I could put one on the bike to plant flowers in. Now that I think back to when I made the bike-table, I have to laugh. I took it to a craft fair and set it up. A man walked by, looked at the bike-table, looked at me, then said, "That's a horrible thing to do to such a nice bike." I kinda had the same thought as I was making the bike-table, but the bike was old, all the cables needed replacing along with the tires and tubes. It would have cost me more to get it up and rideable than it did to turn it into a table since the bike itself had cost me nothing (a neighbor had set it on the curb to go to the landfill) and the piece of wood I used for the table part had cost me nothing as well (a friend allowed me to scavage through his old barn). So now, it will be one of the first things I use to begin the great gardening adventure.


I also have
an old painter's ladder --
also a curb find --
that I can do something with.

And just yesterday, I found old windows up in the attic
of the garage. I thought then there was surely something I could do with them. Here's one possibility. A little greenhouse. With a little digging, I'm bound to find all kinds of ways to turn the windows into garden accents.

So many ideas! So much fun to be had creating a garden.

Just not today, with the cool temps and mist. Not today with the last of the semester's essays that just came in.

Maybe tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why