Iceland: Part I

So, Iceland. Let's start with this:

Yeah, I know. Every time I look back through all my photos of Iceland, this one takes my breath away. That green! Seriously beautiful, yes? And everyone who has thumbed through my photos always stops on this one to really drink in what they're looking at.

I really had no idea what the landscape would be like before we got to Iceland, so to be able to see this, walk across the black sands, feel the chill . . . it all was incredible. Such beauty in our world, and I will forever be grateful to have had the chance to experience it up close and personal with one of my most favorite people, Angel Baby.

I'm not sure Angel Baby knew exactly what he was getting into in agreeing to travel with me. I'm the type who just rolls with the flow. I don't book hotels beforehand. I get to where I'm going and hope to find a place, which is exactly what we did. When we arrived in Reykjavik I told Angel Baby we needed to find a hostel. He didn't blink. He just said okay, so I pulled out my phone for a quick search. A hostel popped up about a half mile from the bus station.

Once there, we inquired about a room. The young man asked if we had a reservation. I sort of smiled and replied, "No." He tapped the keyboard a few times then looked up and said, "Yes, we have a room." So started our adventure, and to this day I truly believe the hiking gods were watching over us every step of the way.

Day one of our actual hike started out great and continued to go smoothly until we were nearing the end of the 15 kilometers. This was where my legs were saying, "Ummmm, you do know you're 55 years old, right?" I told my legs to shut up and continued to trudge on. Then I looked up to see where the path was taking me. The side of a cliff. With steps that had been chiseled into the rock. Nearly vertical. With dismay, I took in what was in store, and my entire body screamed, "No f-ing way!" Angel Baby to this day claims I actually said, "Are you shitting me?" But I had to do it. There was no other way to get to the top of the climb. I made that climb with the help of my trekking poles. Had I not had them, I might very well still be on one of those carved-out steps, trying to get to the top of that cliffside.

When we made it to camp, we found a spot in the tenting area that seemed like it would be okay. We soon found out, though, we were no match for the wind. Every time we tried to stake our tent, the wind whipped it up, the stakes pulling out of the ground and the tent becoming a parachute. After several attempts, I walked to the warden's hut and asked if there were any spots left in the huts. The warden ran her finger down the page of her ledger then looked at me, saying, "There are two spots left." I nodded and said, "I'll take both" while sending a silent thank you up to the hiking gods.

That night, I slept between two strangers in one hut while Angel Baby slept between two strangers in another hut. It wasn't the best night's sleep, but it wasn't the worst, either. I was just glad we had a warm, dry, out of the whooping wind place to lay our heads.


To be continued . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky