A Happy Late-November Day

Today is a happy day for me. My first ever published poem is out there. Honestly, I don't care if I don't get anything else done today. I just want to keep opening the website where my poem has been offered alongside many other wonderful poems for all to read. I feel very honored to have been granted this opportunity. If you'd like to read "Shivering in the Passenger Seat," click here. You'll be taken to the latest issue of Tipton Poetry Journal. Read all of the poems. I know you'll find one, maybe two, perhaps even ten that will move you.

With just a little over a month left of my sabbatical, I'm feeling a bit sad. The time off from prepping for five classes, from grading 100+ essays several times a semester, from committee work, etc. has been just wonderful. I finally got a sense for what it's like to be a full-time writer. I've always wondered what this kind of life would be like, and now I know a little bit better. I wish I could live this life all the time.

But I still have a month, and my intention is to continue creating new pieces. These last few days I've spent my time revising what I have, and what I have at this point is enough for a chapbook, which means I can start seeking out potential publication opportunities. I think I'm getting better at seeing what the weaknesses are in each piece, as well as getting better at revising to strengthen each piece. I think. I'll find out once I start submitting the chapbook to publishers. My hope is that even if a publisher doesn't accept the chapbook for publication, perhaps said publisher will give me some actual feedback to help me revise and strengthen my work further.

Comments

CGCherry said…
Jennifer, Congrats on your published poem. I just read your piece. Writers and poets often write from a place of deep pain. I just want you to know I hear you and I understand what it's about. I'm so sad you had to go through it. And angry at the person whose callous, selfishness hurt you. I hope writing about it helps you heal. I hope you are finding peace. Love, Chris
JK said…
Thank you, Chris. This poem was one of the early ones during sabbatical. I've noticed a shift in what I write the more I write. My more recent pieces are lighter, more hopeful. It's interesting to me to look at the progression.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky