I've Never Known This Kind of Hot

111 degrees. Not kidding. And hills with 9% grade. The combination acted like a one-two punch.

The heat came from above then hit me again after bouncing up from the pavement. I felt like I was in an oven, slow roasting for nearly six hours. Not exactly what I call fun.

Because of the landslide at Big Sur, we were rerouted inland, to the valley running between the ranges. Yesterday was quite wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride through the valley, seeing the farmland. I never quite grasped just how much food is grown in California. Now I know. Tons. And so many migrant workers in the fields before dawn, bending over to pick, hoe, and take care of the fields. Grueling work, no doubt. I have a much higher appreciation for all that they do to make sure we in other parts of the country have fresh veggies and fruits. I have vowed to think much more of those who work in the fields each and every time I buy veggies and fruits.

Today, the morning started out at 60 degrees. Foggy, misty. I was hoping it would warm up like yesterday. It warmed up all right. Way up. Scary hot. I found myself trudging up a hill, wondering why I felt like my legs were mired in mud. I pulled over to rest under a shady tree. I'm glad I did as my heart was racing and I felt a bit off. I stayed there for about fifteen minutes, drinking and letting the breeze cool me off.

The next rest stop was about a mile up the road, so when I got there, I ducked into Naci Cafe and ate lunch. I hung out there for about an hour then went to the store to get some chocolate milk and bananas. I stowed those items in the rest stop van then set off on the last 15 miles of the ride.

Those last 15 miles took a long time. I caught up to several of the other riders and we decided to take rest breaks about every six miles. I figured if it took me to sundown to get to camp so be it. The heat was simply exhausting. We finally made it, and the first thing we all did was jump in the pool. I stayed in that pool for a long time, letting the water cool off my overheated body.

Now, the sun is down and a breeze is cooling the air. I have a couch to sleep on tonight and tomorrow we head back to the coast. 25 miles to the shoreline. I think we're all looking forward to seeing the ocean again though we've only been away from it for two days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky