Taking the Leap

I am so full of joy right now after reading that one of my BTUSFMS teammates signed up to do the ride again for summer 2013. In his bio on the BTUSFMS website, he says the ride changed his perspective on so many things. I know exactly what he means.

Yesterday I was chatting with a colleague, and I found myself thinking about the day we cycled the Blue Ridge Parkway. Out of nowhere came memories of cycling up the hill at Afton with three of my teammates. A little later in the day, while in class, thoughts about how hot it was the day we cycled to Tribune, KS filled my mind. Every day, the summer ride intrudes, making me stop whatever I'm working on to reminisce and dream of being back out on the road. I find myself impatient with my "real" world. Much of what makes up this "real" world seems purposeless now. I want out. I want to feel that sense of purpose I experienced all summer.

So, I made a decision. I'm going to take the leap, leaving what makes me unhappy to begin a new chapter in my life. This change is going to happen slowly, but I decided June 1, 2013 is the "due date" for the new chapter to begin. I chose this date to align with the one-year anniversary of the day I began my cycling journey across the US, the day that truly started an awakening in me. At this point, I am in the process of writing up the plan, talking with people in the know, and gathering information. Everyone I have talked to has been incredibly supportive and encouraging, which helps allay the terror I feel when I think about leaving the known for the unknown.

Having made the decision to make this change, I again feel like I have purpose in my life. I'm excited and scared and determined, just like I was when I signed up for the BTUSFMS ride. I know without a doubt I'm making the right decision, and I look forward to what the future will bring. 

Comments

Cathy said…
GO you!!!!

It's funny, I too was reminiscing about my summer adventures this morning on the drive into work. I could see so clearly the view from our hike up in the mountains in California, our morning walk as the sun peeked through the trees....the cold water rushing around the rocks at Fish Creek Falls in Colorado--I could even feel the fabric between my fingers as I tugged at the skirt of my dress, determined to climb down into the creek whether or not I was wearing the proper clothes.

Man I wish I was back on the road :)
JK said…
I think you will be one day. Maybe the summer was just a hint of what's to come. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky