A Hitch in My Giddy-Up

Last week, my frugal ways caught up with me.

The weather has been cooler in the mornings, which is fabulous. I love getting up to 50 degrees. I love transitioning from shorts and t's to jeans and long-sleeves. And from sandals to close-toed shoes. Especially shoes I just bought for a whole $5 at a yard sale. A pair of pristine Born casual leather (yes, even though I'm vegan, I do have some clothing pieces that are made of leather) shoes perfect with jeans. 

As I set off for work, I had a spring in my step because of those shoes.

But then, walking across the parking lot at work, something felt off with the left shoe. My initial thought was this must be why they were set out at a yard sale for $5. When I reached the doors, I stopped and picked up my left foot to peer at the bottom of the shoe.


All I could do was laugh. So much for what I remember referring to as "the best buy of the year" when I handed over the $5.

I continued to my office, thinking I could make it through the day with a chunk taken out of my left shoe. But with each step I took, I could feel the soles of both shoes loosening even further. By the time I reached my office, two-thirds of the sole of my right shoe was hanging on by a thread.


I seriously thought about just toughing it out for the day. I found the whole situation hilarious and knew the students would love it, as well. The longer I sat at my desk, though, the more uncomfortable I became with how the shoes felt on my feet. I decided to make a run to the nearest store, which happens to be my favorite store of all time -- Farm and Fleet -- and buy a pair of sneakers. In trying to put together a capsule wardrobe, a pair of sneakers is a go-to and I haven't had a pair for probably two years at least. When I got out of the Jeep to go into the store, the entire sole of my right shoe fell off, so I walked around the store with a hitch in my giddy-up.


In the end, that wonderful $5 find ended up costing me another $70. And time running to the store. But it also gave me a day of laughing I'll not forget for a long time. That, I believe, is priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why