Another Friday Lesson

Another lesson I learned Friday, in addition to make-up nearly going dry after a year of not being used and the piercings in my ears being almost non-existent, is that my digestive system can no longer tolerate cheese. 

Yeah, I ate cheese. Along with turkey pepperoni. And at 2 am I awoke to discomfort. I thought I might be able to go back to sleep, but that didn't happen. Instead, I had to make a visit to the bathroom. I NEVER have to get up during the night. I was able to get back to sleep, but at 4 am, I awoke to more discomfort. Twice in one night I had to visit the bathroom.

So the cheese and pepperoni . . . two things I've not eaten in the past nine months, ever since going whole foods plant based. Funny Delightful son made us his wonderful homemade pizza, and I was not going to say nope, can't eat that. It was the first time we'd been together since Christmas, and he had taken the time to make the dough and as well as prep the other ingredients. The least I could do was eat what he had spent time preparing. 

The pizza was so good. He really has perfected his dough and the way he bakes the pizza. I enjoyed each and every bite. 

Right up until 2 am. Then 4 am.

All day Saturday I tried to offset the damage by eating lots of greens and drinking water. Yesterday I felt pretty much back to normal. Today, even better. Suffice it to say, I won't be eating any cheese or pepperoni again anytime soon. Or ever again.

My intestinal discomfort hasn't been the only food-related issue I've noticed. Just over a week ago I was jonesing for some cookies. I'd not had any cookies for quite awhile and I was too lazy to make some vegan cookies at home. I ended up driving to the nearest Dollar General and getting a small package of Oreos. They're technically vegan (might have some cross-contamination with milk), so I thought why not?

I found out why not during the week. Before going whole food plant based I struggled with sciatica pain. I tried everything, from stretching constantly to sleeping with a fluffy pillow between my knees. Nothing really seemed to lessen the pain. It would ease up with the stretching, but then it would flare to the point I had to take a couple of pain relievers to really get some relief. Not long after going whole food plant based, as I was sitting in my big comfy chair, I realized the pain was gone and had been gone for some time. I was ecstatic. 

Last week, the sciatica awakened from its slumber. The only thing I'd introduced into my daily eating were the Oreos. And some Sour Patch Kids (which some consider vegan, as well, but now, after doing some reading, I'm inclined to say they are not truly vegan). The entire week, the sciatica let me know loud and clear it was back. Today, after two days of eating really clean, today being my third day of back to eating whole food plant based, the sciatica has disappeared. While I can't say for sure it was because of the processed cookies and candy I ate last week, I'm pretty sure it was. All that sugar. All the other who-knows-what ingredients I was consuming. Yeah, not smart. 

But I'm back on track. And I'm more convinced then ever that whole food plant based is the way to go for optimal health. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Congratulations! You must be proud of all three of your kids. I'm vegan too and also struggle with rich foods.
JK said…
Thank you! Yes, all three are just so delightful and fun. Even though the car ride to my son's graduation was an hour and a half, it seemed like just minutes because of the conversations. With the foods, I definitely won't be making that mistake again!

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky