My First Music Festival . . . Well, At Least One Day of a Music Festival

Last weekend, Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I went to Louisville for the Forecastle music festival. What a time!

Back in 2012, when I did my first cross-country bike ride, LBD and the boys put together a care package and sent it so it would arrive on the same day that I rode into Haswell, CO. Inside the care package was LBD's mp3 player with a playlist of her favorite music. The Killers were a part of that playlist, and from that day on, I've always thought it'd be wonderful to see The Killers live.

Friday night last week, LBD and I stood smushed together, surrounded by other fans, and watched The Killers put on a wonderful show. I'm pretty sure I had a smile on my face during the entire hour and a half show. At one point, LBD took my arm and with tears in her eyes told me thank you for making her dream of seeing The Killers live come true.

While I love so many of The Killers' songs, my favorite is a Brandon Flowers song he wrote and sang for the album Flamingo, "Only the Young." There's just something about it that speaks to me. I think it might be that I was in my tent one night, somewhere in Utah, and I had fallen asleep with my earbuds in, listening to the music LBD had sent to me. I sort of woke up, just enough, to "Only the Young" playing. It was in that in-between sleeping and waking state that the song sank deep into my being. When I hear this song, it's like my entire existence is enhanced. I have to just sit, close my eyes, and let the music do its magic.

Last Friday was definitely a summer highlight. How could it not be? I had a wonderful day with Lovely Beautiful Daughter, listened to music we both totally enjoy, laughed at the antics of those around us, and created a memory I'll be able to look back on with immense fondness. What more could I ask for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky