Two Students, Similar Situations, Very Different Outcomes

It used to be students would use "my grandma died" as the excuse for not getting work submitted. Poor grandma -- she sometimes died two or three times during a semester. Now, the more typical reason for not attending class and not getting work in is anxiety and panic attacks. And usually the student doesn't inform me of this until after getting the final grade, which for some is most likely what's inducing the anxiety and panic attacks.

Over the last six or seven years, the number of students claiming to suffer from depression, anxiety, and panic attacks has increased exponentially. I am truly conflicted over this. I know the conditions are real and some people truly suffer because of anxiety and panic attacks. The idea, too, that so many young people are claiming to experience both suggests something very wrong is happening in our world (hello social media?). This semester, I've had several students tell me at the end of the semester they suffer from both, and as such, they should not be given a failing grade, even though they missed nearly half the semester or more, and didn't turn in 50% or more of the work.

One student, in particular, is being very loud about how unjust I am being in giving the failing grade. In the latest correspondence, the student wrote of suffering from anxiety and panic attacks as well as PTSD. This was the first time the student had let me know about these conditions. There were also accusations of me singling this student out and making this student feel unwelcome in the class. This might be true if the student had shown up to class. In looking over the records, this student missed all of April, the two class periods in May, the three fellowship events during the semester (which were held during the class period), the two service days (held during the class period), and the big college-wide service project held at the end of April. That's eleven class periods of sixteen the student was absent. It is a class that is all about participation. If a student isn't in class, there is no participation.

But the F is unjust. I simply don't understand.

I wrote a response to this student, giving all of this information in support of the grade given, and will see what happens. My boss is supporting my position, so I do have that.

Then I have the student who informed me of having depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. But this student told me just after midterm. This student asked me for help. This student worked with me to figure out a course of action because of days when making it to class might not happen. This student showed up the day of finals to talk to me in person about the quality of the work. This student struggled but knew the responsibility for the final grade rested on their shoulders. This student and I reached an agreement about the grade, both of us happy with the decision and the student telling me I was being more than fair.

One student didn't communicate with me all semester and is now blaming me for the failing grade. One student did communicate with me after realizing help was needed. Two very different outcomes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky