I, For One, Have Nothing to Complain About

Sunday evening, I watched episode 3 of this season's GOT. I'd not watched any of GOT until November 2018, but after the first season, I was hooked. I watched each season until I reached the end in late December. That's a lot of GOT to take in over a short time.

I loved every single second of it. One of my favorite parts out of all the episodes to then was the Battle of the Bastards, particularly the scene when Jon Snow's army charges forward on the horses, and the camera pans, going slowly from the horses' heads back and down to their legs. Just a beautiful image of the horses running. The artistry with which some scenes are made is truly amazing.

I felt the same about several moments in Sunday's episodes. But it really wasn't any particular scene in this episode that touched me so much. Rather, it was the music. The music that started when Sansa and Tyrion were hiding from the undead running through the crypts. That music, aptly titled "The Night King," carries on until Arya kills the Night King. It is just so beautiful.

Since Sunday, I've listened to friends and students complain about the episode. Too dark, couldn't see what was going on. Too many of the main characters lived. Too many bad decisions by the characters. Where was Mel and why did she show up all the sudden for this battle? What was the point of Jon and Daenerys' flying the dragons and not doing anything to help? Etc. Etc.

Me? I loved every single second of this episode. I thought the artistry of the episode trumped the characters' decisions and every other aspect people are finding fault with. Watching the flaming arakhs of the Dothraki get snuffed out broke my heart. They were such a fierce people. Seeing the dragons fly above the storm clouds, into clear skies, sent shivers through me. A beautiful night sky with stars. Peaceful. While below chaos was running rampant. The cat and mouse game in the library with Arya made me hold my breath. The White Walker's strand of hair lifting slightly, him turning his head just slightly right before Arya comes in over their heads--a small detail, but one that breaks the feeling of everything and everyone being doomed.

Then the music. The proverbial icing on the cake.

I don't recall ever watching an episode of anything more than once. I've never been the person to get so completely caught up in a TV program. One view is usually enough for me.

But with GOT, I've watched this episode twice now, thinking about watching it a third.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky